The unexamined life is not worth living." Socrates
THE TEN COMMANDMENT
2005-12-15 13:03:30 UTC
The unexamined life is not worth living." Socrates
"I considered that all men agree that man, as his name indicates, is a
bundle of forgetfulness, disobedience, and transgressions. His life never
remains so pure as to be absolutely free from the stain of sin. Sin has
become man's second nature. It is a true saying that `to err is human.' The
question is how can one escape accountability and punishment? How is one to
be saved? What does Islam have to say about it? And what is the message of
Christianity? It is my duty to investigate this important matter honestly
and without prejudice."

Sultan Muhammad P. Khan
john stephenson
2005-12-16 21:22:20 UTC
Hello Sultan,

I was just browsing and came across your question.

It is very rare for anyone to ask such a profound and
important question.

In an attempt to provide an answer the book of Romans
chapter 3 verse 10 to 26 reads:

10As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
11There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

12They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable;
there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

13Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used
deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:

14Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:

15Their feet are swift to shed blood:

16Destruction and misery are in their ways:

17And the way of peace have they not known:

18There is no fear of God before their eyes.

19Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who
are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may
become guilty before God.

20Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in
his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

21But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being
witnessed by the law and the prophets;

22Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all
and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

23For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

24Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in
Christ Jesus:

25Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood,
to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past,
through the forbearance of God;

26To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just,
and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

It is interesting that verse 19 says "what things soever the law saith"

It seem that when God's perfect law speaks to sinful man it has nothing good
to say about his wretchedness . We are all consigned to the moral scrapheap.

It also says in verse 20 that "by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh
be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin"

Apparently any attempt to extricate ourselves from this dilemma through the
performance of moral deeds is seen to be quite counter productive seeing
that the standard that is required is the perfect moral standard of God's
law. As we are incapable of anything perfect then our attempt to meet the
requirement of the law would only inadvertently incur us in greater guilt,
"by the law is the knowledge of sin."

The message of the Bible is that mankind is utterly lost and incapable of
redeeming himself by any means religious or otherwise.

The good news or "Gospel" is that (Verse 21 ) the righteousness that man
needs, the moral standing that gives him a right standing before a holy God
has been provided by God Himself through man's representative - Jesus
Christ.

John Stephenson

Sultan Muhammad P. Khan
Jen
2005-12-17 00:24:46 UTC
Ya hey there Sultan!

I think you forget that Socrates wanted to examine life by means of
'critical thinking', & always to search for the 'rational proof'.
Relgion never asks human beings to do either of those things but
instead to have 'faith'.

Socrates would want you to pose a series of questions to religion until
you proved it either true or false. So keep on plugging Sultan!